The Pose of the Week for September 28th – October 4th is Reversed Warrior Pose. It’s an awesome variation of Warrior 2 that stretches and strengthens your body while clearing your mind and increasing your focus.
To get into the pose.
- Begin in a Warrior 2 pose. Hips are open, legs are spread wide apart, and heels are in line. Your right leg is bent at a 90 degree angle and your knee is stacked over your ankle. Your left leg is long and your toes are turned in.
- Reach your arms forward and back. Relax your shoulders away from your ears and pull your shoulder blades together behind your back. Gaze over your right middle finger.
- Inhale and reverse your Warrior by flipping your right palm and raising your right arm up and overhead and tick tocking your left arm down. You can bring your left hand down to your thigh or trickle it down towards your left knee or shin.
- Lift your chin and your gaze. Keep sinking deeper into your right knee, never losing the integrity of that 90 degree angle in your knee.
- After a few breaths, bring your arms back to parallel with the ground, and switch to the other side.
- Strengthens your quads, arms, and neck
- Builds strength in your hips and lower body
- Stretches your groins, hips, and obliques
- Opens up your chest and shoulders
- Challenges your mind and focus
JJ Pepper is our featured teacher of the week. He teaches yoga and fitness classes at our studios and other gyms around Austin. Here he is in Reversed Warrior using the Onnit Quad Mace.